AHS understands that social and economic conditions profoundly impact the health of our patients and community. Our community-based programs contribute to the health of our youth, families, and community.
AHS SMH Prevention Program
In view of the different pressures and tensions which lead to various emotional and psychological issues, AHS SMH Prevention Program aims to promote awareness and concern for emotional wellness, helping the public acquire a positive attitude towards mental health therapy and counseling and build individual and community capacity, knowledge, and skills that contribute to the prevention of mental health disorders. We also work towards increasing collaboration with community stakeholders and organizations to serve the identified communities. The Prevention Program’s activities include:
- Community events
- Psycho-educational workshops
- Cultural-based workshops
- Support groups
- Educational materials
- 1:1 and/or family preventive counseling
Honeycomb Hideout 510 (HCH510)
Honeycomb Hideout 510 (HCH510) was founded in 2017 by the Asian Health Services HIV Prevention and Care department to bring local awareness and advocacy to HIV/AIDS and the communities that it impacts most deeply. HCH510 offers:
- Free HIV and Hepatitis C rapid testing
- Training and education for HIV prevention, sexual health and risk reduction, and LGBTQIA+ health topics
- Medical case management, ADAP enrollment, and Ryan White services for individuals living with HIV
- Navigation and linkage services for STI testing and PrEP/PEP
- Peer advocacy and services from LGBTQIA+ staff
- Services provided in Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, and Spanish”
Community Liaison Unit (CLU)
CLU raises awareness about the right to healthcare, healthcare services, and disease prevention in Oakland. The team works specifically with vulnerable communities, especially low-income Asian American immigrants and refugees. The team empowers patients and spearhead opportunities that give the community a voice in their own health. CLU’s activities include:
- Community outreach, education, and organizing
- Coordinating Patient Leadership Councils
- Enrolling community members into health coverage at the certified enrollment center
- Translation and back-up interpretation services
- Voter outreach and engagement
- Civic engagement
Patient Leadership Council (PLC)
The healthcare system can be challenging to navigate, especially for limited English speakers or new immigrants to the United States. The PLCs train patients to be “promoters” or volunteer health advocates in their communities, who can share information about key health or advocacy issues.
There are currently seven councils, each representing a population of patients at AHS: Cantonese, Korean, Khmer, Mandarin, Tagalog, and Vietnamese. Additional facts about the PLCs:
- There are more than 100 council members
- PLCs meet bi-monthly and are supported by community health workers that possess culturally and linguistically relevant skills
- PLCs volunteer on a number of activities including patient satisfaction surveys, voter registration outreach, health fair tabling and health education materials review
Call Tina C for any inquiries at 510-917-0567
AHS Youth Programs at The Spot Youth Center
Asian Health Services Youth Program (AHSYP) has been committed to serving East Bay youth for over two decades through means of fostering their emotional, physical, and intellectual health through holistic, coordinated, youth-driven resources and opportunities. The department offers opportunities that include leadership, clinical services, community building, and advocacy.
For more information:
To register for YT Programs:
Follow our IG for newest updates and info: @ahs.yp
Banteay Srei was formed in response to a rising trend in sex trafficking and exploitation of Southeast Asian girls in Oakland. The words “Banteay Srei” come from an ancient temple in Cambodia and means “The Women’s Temple.” Centering the goddess and women only space for worship.
The service provides a safe, non-judgmental place for young Southeast Asian women who are at-risk of, or engaged in, the underground sex trade. Banteay Srei provides sex education, community building and leadership development that fosters cultural pride and self-determination. Learn more about Banteay Srei.
Revive Chinatown! is a community effort to make Oakland Chinatown safer, more pedestrian-friendly, attractive, and economically viable. Presently, we have launched the Chinatown Improvement Initiative to enhance the economic vitality, preserve vibrancy, and improve the environment of our Chinatown neighborhood.
The program is spearheaded by the City of Oakland, Asian Health Services and the Oakland Chinatown Chamber of Commerce. It includes various pedestrian safety and streetscape changes that will improve the quality of life for residents of Chinatown. Past improvements have included:
- Four-way crosswalks with scramble system
- Expanded sidewalk corners
- Pedestrian lighting
- Pedestrian countdown signals
- Bilingual signage and banners
- Bicycle racks and trash receptacles
To learn more about the Chinatown Improvement Initiative or to get involved, please email email@example.com
CALIFORNIA HEALTHY NAIL SALON COLLABORATIVE
The California Healthy Nail Salon Collaborative works to improve the health, safety, and rights of the nail and beauty care workforce to achieve a healthier, more sustainable and just community. We are a statewide coalition of 25 organizations that engages in cross-movement building to ensure that beauty is synonymous with healthy, safe and dignified working conditions, products, and services.
The Collaborative is committed to:
- Addressing the overlooked reproductive justice needs of salon workers who have substantially greater occupational exposures to reproductively harmful toxins than the general population
- Assuring that all salon workers have the right to a healthy workplace, and the right to bear and raise healthy children within a healthy environment
- Empowering workers to be a voice in the reproductive justice movement and key catalysts for systems transformation
CLICK HERE for more information about California Healthy Nail Salon Collaborative.